What is Photography?

 Before walking into class, I thought I had a good idea of what photography was. Previously, photography to me was a way to capture a moment. I use photography to seize an image I am seeing with my eyes so I can hold onto it to reminisce or remember. While this is true in a way, I now realize photography is so much more than just capturing a moment, but rather a multitude of things that vary depending on how it is being used. 

I have always thought about photography, questioning how in the world humans figured out a way to take images our brains produce and make it look exactly the same, if not better, on something physical like paper or a screen. This is a major reason why I took this class, and I am so thankful I did because many questions I would not have found the answer to myself have been answered already. The film process has always intrigued me as well.

The article "Photography Changes Everything" proposed many different ways photography can impact our lives without even realizing it. Being able to provide visuals when sharing experiences with others can completely change the intensity of emotions felt. Photography also presents a different art medium as a way for people to express how they are feeling and to share the beauty they see that others may not. Although photography is complex and many people don't realize the importance of it, there is no doubt that it has completely changed the nature of humans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man Ray

Robert Rauschenberg

Duane Michals