Robert Frank

 How Robert Frank's Photographs Helped Define America | The New Yorker

For my final project, I decided to give my take on street photography. Like many others, including Robert Frank, I am inspired by people. I am fascinated with pondering about strangers, and photography allows me to capture a specific moment in time and analyze the moment in ways I do not throughout my day. New York, in particular, holds a large amount of diversity with people of all backgrounds and markings of humans everywhere you look, making it the perfect place for street photography. 

Robert Frank | From the Bus (1958-printed 1980s) | Artsy

Robert Frank was a monumental photographer in street photography. He captured people doing what they do best: being people. These photos hold mystery and innocence. I think the fact that Frank chose to photograph strangers instead of anything else shows he may think the same way I do. He observes the people walking by and thinks they are deserving of a photograph that he can hold onto, even if this person never knows. The mystery of who this person is and what they could be doing now is what really inspired me for this project.

Sold Price: ROBERT FRANK, THE AMERICAN, 1955 - Invalid date EDT

Frank seems to understand the raw nature of being someone and interacting with others. In the photo below, the woman's identity is hidden by the microphone she talks through. Maybe this is meant to represent how a woman's identity is not just in how she looks, but what she has to say and feel. This element of mystery again inspired me in my work. 

Through Streets 📸 on Twitter: "Street Photography by Robert Frank  https://t.co/JGd1LiQK7h" / Twitter

In some of his photos, the people are aware, almost as if they are making eye contact with the viewers. This reminds us that we are also human. This type of photography can also be seen as documentary, which is something I am personally very interested in. Seeming the different angles and vies Robert Frank took in his work and seeing the leap he took to change photography forever has encouraged me to do the same. 

Robert Frank - artist, news & exhibitions - photography-now.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man Ray

Robert Rauschenberg

Duane Michals